Friday, December 29, 2006

Vegas, Christmas, and 2007 Tourney changes

Vegas

Vegas was a lot of fun. I did well in poker, not profitably well, but played solid and learned a few new tricks. I played a tourney at the Rio - it's not the best structure, but it's all right. There ere 80 players and was knocked out in 14th. Not bad - I made some good reads and plays. I got blinded out and was forced to make a move - that's when my A5 got beat with QT.

I played the Caesar’s tourney the next day and that was bad - no cards, best hand was QQ and no action, made a couple moves, but no good. I made it through a third of the field, but it was boring and frustrating.

At the Luxor I played the cash game, I got a ROYAL FLUSH (odds = 1 in 30,940). I won about $80 from the pot and an extra $100 from the high hand pool. If 40 minutes earlier, I would have won a high hand contest and an extra $500. Oh well.

I played a lot of negative equity games (exactly like I said I would NOT). I did real well in "Let it Ride", but shitty in most of the other games.

Christmas

We had a really nice Christmas, the tree days before i helped my brother put up a massive play set for his boys. It came fully UNassembled and it took 57 total hours to complete. It came in 4 200+ pond boxes and a 99 step manual. The weather didn't cooperate much either (rain, clouds, and 45-55 F), but its done and his boys LOVE IT!


That is my little brother, Matt, finishing out the crow's nest 6:30PM Xmas Eve.


Another View


My nephew, Wesley, tearing it up on the slide, Christmas Day.

We spent Christmas Eve at Stacey's parents, and Christmas Day at my brothers house. We had lots of fun and my daughter was happy, happy, happy when she got her 8 Megapixel Canon. We are blessed to have such a good family and friends.

Tournament Changes for 2007

As requested by several players. I will start keeping track of points just like the Big-O (yes, I am copying the master again). It's a lot more fun and its good to reward regular players with some recognition. I like the idea of having a big tourney with buy-in's as a portion of your place on the points lists too.

I am thinking of using 2% of each tourney's pot as a boost for the big tourney. I calculate about $6 a tourney based on an average $300 pot. At the end of the year, we will have a big tourney and based on each person's points position, they will get a discounted buy-in. I will take all the money collected from each regular tournament and add it to the total pot.

I haven't made up my mind, and I would appreciate some feedback on this through a comments post or email.

2 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for posting pictures of the boys Christmas present, I had a great time building it with you. Only a brother could possibly put up with constucting such a monstrosity at the last minute before Christmas. The boys love it!!!

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jim, it's Justin. I like the idea of taking small portions of the pot each tourney and putting it toward the last tourney for a big pot. And I'm glad you're gonna do a points system to make things more fun and interesting. As far as including buy-ins in points calculations, I've got no problem with that either. Sounds like you got some good ideas for this season. I'm looking forward to a fun year of poker and takin your money. I'm just kidding, I mean, Stacey's money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home