Thursday, November 23, 2006

Burger Mania



A friend of mine recently set a record. He ate one Wendy's Hamburger... with 9 patties. The challenge needed to be complete in 75 minutes.

He and I have watched and liked Cool Hand Luke. In the movie Luke (Paul Newman) eats 50 hard-boiled eggs.

My friend was met by about 15 of us at the local Wendy's. He was calm and cool, but a little intense as the "MONSTER" burger was ordered, "I would like a Wendy's triple with 6 extra patties of meat, two pieces of cheese and two pieces of lettuce on the side."

The Wendy's people all freaked out and after it was rung up it cost $11.18!

The burger was carried to the table. We grabbed a booth and I sat directly across from him with people on all sides. I thought he might feel crowded. At any rate, the clock was started and my friend threw the lettuce away and "went to work". He ate the thing by eating the edges in a circular pattern as grease dripped steadily over his fingers and onto the foil wrapper. I was impressed how he attacked the thing - as if it was a "normal" burger.



I had ordered a single, one patty - "girlie" burger. I was pretty full when I finished mine, but my buddy kept after the monster. A few minutes went by and we began to wonder,"What percentage of the original burger has he eaten?" We estimated the quantity eaten was about 3 patties of the 9 total, but it was really hard to tell.

At the point when the entire bottom bun had dissolved (it just disappeared!), he set the burger down and began peeling off the patties and eating them one by one. This had many benefits, he had a yard stick for how many patties he had left, he freed his hands from the grease, and he didn't have to feel that "cold hunk of meat and grease" on his hands.

He would get up and walk around and jump in place (not sure what that was all about). Since he was walking around, I thought he might want some room so I moved to give him some room. I kept giving him encouragement, although he never faltered and just kept power eating through the monster.

With about 25-30 minutes to spare, he finished it. Applause rang through the restaurant. During the challenge several customers watched intently and my friend accumulated a small following.

Then the unthinkable...

He ordered another hamburger!!!



He stripped the bun and all the trimmings and ate the mustard covered patty. It took him about 5 minutes to choke it down. Man, it was disgusting and awesome at the same time.

All in all it was a lot of fun and eating that much "junk" is crazy. What impressed me the most was my friend’s ability to focus on the "job". There was a lot of heckling and jabbing at him, but he kept after his goal. He beat his goal and then stunned us all with an additional burger.

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home